Friday, May 12, 2006

The DaVinci Opportunity
Link

This is the single greatest resource I have found regarding the whole DaVinci situation. The Rev. Mark D. Roberts breaks it down bit by bit, piece by piece. If this "controversy" is something you find curious, please go here and investigate further.

Hat Tip: Hugh Hewitt

Comments on "The DaVinci Opportunity"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 PM) : 

Heya Chucko... I am curious, from one christian to another... what do you think about the DaVinci movie and the boycott of it? Obviously I do not agree with the what I have heard of the movie, but I have never been a fan of "defending" Christianity... As if it was fragile enough to need to defend... and if we were actually good enough to defend it. Instead of fighting with those that oppose us, don't you think it would be better if we concentrate on living our lives as Jesus would have, and have people see the true nature of christianity through our actions? Actions speak much louder than words.

Just my thoughts, but I definitely do not support a boycott. What are YOUR thoughts?

 

Blogger Chucko said ... (3:50 PM) : 

BOB!

"what do you think about the DaVinci movie and the boycott of it?"

Hmmm... what can I say about the DaVinci movie that has not already been said? It's a shady attempt to make money at the expense of Christianity's credibility as a viable religion, preying on the insecurities of those who don't lookup facts but rather consume them wholesale as presented by Hollywood. I guess that about sums up my feelings of the movie. I feel the boycott will do no good or harm. Those that have decided to see it will, those that have decided not to see it will not.

"never been a fan of "defending" Christianity... As if it was fragile enough to need to defend... and if we were actually good enough to defend it."

I agree that Christianity is not fragile enough to require a human defense. Personally, my favorite flavor of apologetics is that which merely explains certain facts about the Church to those who seek them, and that is what I try to do. I think the purpose of the call for a boycott, or a church here or there (I believe the Eastern Orthodox may have officially done something re:DaVinci Code) condemning the film is to call attention to its fallacies. The historical work is done shoddily, but many who watch/read may not realize this. Anyway, back to the point. I feel obligated to defend my beliefs, not from a hostile retaliatory posture but rather if I see a misconception broadcast over worldwide medium I will point out what is true or untrue about it. This film will not destroy Christianity, but it will confuse those who have not properly sought the facts. Its primary intent is to make money, and its secondary intent is to weaken the foundations that fringe Christians stand on.

"don't you think it would be better if we concentrate on living our lives as Jesus would have, and have people see the true nature of christianity through our actions?"

See above. :) I "lead by example" with my faith.

"Just my thoughts, but I definitely do not support a boycott. What are YOUR thoughts?"

I'm curious Bob... while you do not support a boycott, do you oppose one? I'm really ambivalent on the whole boycott thing... I feel it's pointless, but I'm glad it is calling attention to the lies and half truths the film propogates.

 

post a comment

Go to the source!