Monday, November 06, 2006

Election Eve
I've not been feeling so well lately, also I've been quite busy. Aside from those usual excuses, here are the Chuckoblog endorsements for tomorrow's election:

Federal:

US Senate - Mike DeWine
US HR 02 - Jean Schmidt

State:

OH Governor - Ken Blackwell
OH HR 28 - Jim Raussen

City:

Cincinnati City Commissioner - Phil Heimlich

These are the elections important to me that I can make a difference in, and will be voting in kind. Personally, though I don't put much trust in polls, I do not see much hope for Ken Blackwell pulling it off. This is a HUGE disappointment for me, as I have followed his career relatively closely, and feel he would be a superb governor. This is, quite frankly, just a bad year to be a Republican in Ohio. Ken has been an incredible campaigner, positive, and full of energy. The voters in Ohio are just not listening. I suppose in large part we can attribute this to the man who has done more for the Ohio Democrat Party than anyone else: Bob Taft. Good riddance to you sir, you have been a terrible governor. Another huge disappointment appears to be the impending doom of Rick Santorum's Senate run. Another fellow who has had relentless energy on the campaign trail, closed the gap several times, but despite this has been unable to surmount Bob Casey's incredibly huge media advantage. It's just depressing to see someone just not campaign or take any stands on real issues, and win against an opponent who has thrown all of his energy and very soul into the race.

Predictions:

United States Senate: GOP Hold

United States House of Representatives: Too Close to Call

I figure I'm going with most of the pundits on this one. Some in the GOP have predicted a hold of the House, I feel this is rather optimistic but in recent days it has arrived as a good possibility. We just need to maintain our energy, and let the GOP GotV effort defy the pundits that are predicting a blue landslide.

VOTE.

Comments on "Election Eve"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 AM) : 

My quick, unscientific prediction is that GOP holds the Senate with a 52-48 advantage but loses the House by dropping 19 seats. The only silver lining is that the next 2 years would give the American people a clear picture of what the Democrats are all about and more than likely doom whomever they end up nominating in 2008.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 AM) : 

Wow, was I wrong. I fear that the little corner of the blogsphere that I frequent may be the echo chamber I have derided in the past.

 

Blogger Chucko said ... (11:32 AM) : 

InDEED. Indeed. Well, it wasn't what could be termed a "blowout" by any means. It's a typical 6th year election blowback. I do believe, however, that this could have been avoided by focusing our message and not forgetting about the Republican base and taking it for granted. We shall see, it's time for a little introspection.

 

post a comment

Go to the source!