Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Reds Open Promising New Season
By getting soundly routed, 7-16 at the hands of the Chicago Cubs. I hope this is an abberition. It SHOULD be... not many teams give up 16 runs in a single game, much less over the course of an entire year. This season held much promise due to transactions over the course of the offseason. A change of ownership, several prominent hitters entering the fray... even the President of the United States throwing out the first pitch! Really, starting pitching is what is needed to win games, and in that department the Reds are sorely lacking. Still, with bad starting pitching last year they were in the wild card hunt for most of the season.

Ah well, what can ya do? I'd be much more upset if I still had the passion for baseball that I did before '97. If baseball even pretended they cared about the fans for a second, my interest would grow.

Comments on "Reds Open Promising New Season"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

Finally a topic I can intelligently respond to. :) One thing that REALLY got me upset on was the lack of effort by Dunn (and actually Griffey) in the outfield... That first error on Dunn was caused by him not running after the ball, assuming that Shortstop was going to get it. If I would have done that in Little League, I would have been ripped a new one. Dunn, a PROFESSIONAL paid MILLIONS, should definitely be expected to run after the ball, even if he thinks the shortstop was going to get it. Ever heard of BACKING up?

Then, there were two balls that Griffey didn't even TRY to get. I know he doesn't want to get injured again, but everyone says about how much he does everything 100%. Well, running after the balls in the outfield sure wasn't 100%.

Overall, the Reds looked like the bad-news bears on the field. All that said, they were actually extremely close all game. If it were not for a few bad plays and some missed home runs by a few feet, the Reds could have easily come out ahead.

I am still optimistic.

 

Blogger Chucko said ... (2:20 PM) : 

I listened to most of the game, and I agree Bob. There is reason to be optimistic, but all optimism in baseball regarding winning starts with pitching, and sometimes steroids and World Series cancelling strikes. Maybe I just dwell on the past too much. I am going to get down to some Reds games this year. I have to.

 

post a comment

Go to the source!